Writing is a form of expression; a way to release your inner feelings; an escape from reality. Writing is one of my passions. It is a huge part of my life, and it is a hobby that I will never give up or get tired of. Throughout my life, ever since I was a little girl, I have always written stories, and I continue to write today. Creating my own stories allows me to use my imagination to come up with my own fantasies and my own world where I have the power to create the setting, the characters, the problem, and the solution. I can put my own twist on a situation that happened in my own life and disguise it through words. I can control the characters, their traits, their interests, and their passions. As a writer, you have complete control over your own thoughts and what you want to express to your audience.
You can also capture an audience and express yourself by writing in a variety of ways. You can write poems, diary entries, reactions etc...Each form of writing offers its own benefits and has its own way of creatively expressing your feelings and ideas to others.
In the classroom, it is imperative for students to have the opportunities to free write about any topic of their choice. Students also need to be able to write about stories they have read or are reading in class. They need to be provided with the chance to write about their feelings toward a story, their reactions to a book, relating an event to their own life, empathizing with a character in a story etc... Through their own writing, children will be able to explore a book in greater detail and they will learn about a book (more) through their own perspective. This will help students to understand what they are reading, and will also make reading more fun for students.
Offering students a choice with their writing is the key to making writing more fun for students; by having a choice students feel in control of their learning and their own writing.
Pairing writing with drawing is a way for students to visually see a story and what a character or event looks like,. Students can describe what they drew in their own words.
Most importantly, teachers should educate their students on different styles of writing and they should create units on different forms of writing. Each type of writing offers fun ways for students to express themselves and to use their creativity and imaginations, especially poetry. Poetry is an enjoyable twist on writing that offers the students chances to write about their own life or aspects of their life.
When I become a teacher I want to teach my students to love writing and to look at writing as a fun process where they can use their imaginations to paint a picture through words. I also want them to learn that writing is a way for them to explore a story by connecting and relating a text to themselves and to their own lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment